i2LResearch has a wide range of facilities at its disposal which include:
- Controlled Environment Chambers: The Company has a comprehensive controlled environment capability, including 12 specifically designed chambers used for precision control of temperature, humidity, light intensity and day length and 45m3 of controlled behavioural room space.
- White Rooms: The Cardiff office has 3 dedicated white rooms, each measuring 33m3. These are principally used for flying insect studies, but can also be adapted for other work, including crawling insect studies. In addition the Czech office has one white room of approx. 20m3. i2LResearch USA Inc has a 167m3 chamber with controlled ventilation to simulate the air exchanges required by US OSHA in commercial premises for testing intermittent spray devices.
- Peet Grady Chambers: The Company is fortunate to own three Peet Grady Chambers (1.8 m x 1.8 m x 1.8 m).
- Specialised Spraying Equipment: In addition to standard spraying and pesticide application devices, the company owns a range of spraying equipment, including a potter tower, a Burkard auto micro-applicator, a specially designed aerosol atomising device, a spray timer for delivering precisely-measured applications from aerosol cans, and a DeVilbiss atomizer for delivering unpressurized liquids as sprays.
- Culture Rooms: i2LResearch has 60 and 40m3 of Culture Rooms, all with controlled temperature, and some with controlled humidity. Species kept in culture include ants, houseflies, stable flies cockroaches, body lice, bed bugs, mosquitoes, firebrats, stink bugs, dust mites and stored product pests (including clothes moths). Many other species, such as ticks, and mosquitoes, scorpions, venomous centipedes, black widow and brown recluse spider, wasps and hornets are bought in for specific studies and maintained in these rooms until needed for experiments.
- Boxes for Packaging Penetration Studies: We own 18 large lidded plastic boxes, each measuring 600mm long X 400mm wide X 400mm high. These boxes are in great demand for packaging penetration studies, ranging from biscuit and chocolate bar wrapping, to powdered milk containers and dog food packaging.
- Caged Arenas: We have 350 caged arenas for simulated field studies. These are used for product efficacy, product integrity, product longevity. Data can be used to support field trial data packages.
- Crawling insect arenas: These arenas are made up as required and can be of different sizes according to sponsor requirements.
- Glasshouse facility: Our field facility at i2LResearch Ltd (Newcastle) includes 4 commercial-scale polytunnels and 2 glasshouses. Our Central European office in the Czech Republic has an indoor heated glasshouse available for studies throughout the year. We also have access to glasshouse and polytunnels at our Cardiff and Spanish facilities. Typical studies include efficacy testing of insecticides and other pesticides, crop safety, bee studies and natural enemy studies.
- Field sites: For professional product studies we have access to animal houses, stables, warehouses, and the ability to carry out cockroach, mosquito, bed bug and ant field trials. We also have extensive links to farmers and growers for agricultural and horticultural field trials, as well as access to smaller plots of land at our Newcastle field station. i2LResearch USA Inc has a network of contacts among the mosquito abatement and national & state park communuites who can direct us to optimal sites for mosquito, black fly and midge testing.